2021年2月26日 星期五

The Third Grader

 

Michael called (: rang) the company (: firm)

to confirm his interview

for tomorrow morning.

firm: strong

I strongly (: firmly) believe that

all of you will get ahead in life in the future.

We should have (: go on)

 a well-balanced diet

every meal.

 

steady/stable/fixed

a fixed salary

 

… in exchange for…

 

fashion/fad/vogue/style

vague: unclear

 

superb/marvelous/

fantastic/fabulous/neat/cool

 

fit: healthy

stay fit (: healthy)

stay in good shape

 

fit: go with/match/suit

for the time being/at present/

currently/nowadays/today

 

doubt

be-V dubious about+N

be skeptical of/about…

be suspicious about/of

suspicion/doubt

skepticism

 

 

 

The moment

The instant

The minute

Once

As soon as …, …

No sooner had the thief seen the police

than (s)he ran away.

 

Not only you but I am also correct.

Either you or I am correct.

 

Not only did I finish the tests

 but Joan also did.

 

Seldom have I done something special

except for a preparation for study

in my free (: spare/leisure) time

 

distinguish A from B

tell A from B

identify A with B

 

extinguish: put …out

put the fire out

a fire extinguisher